In 2021, ESA opened the vacancy notices for the roles of astronaut and astronaut with a physical disability. This was the first call for new astronaut applicants since 2008.
In response, ESA received more than 22.500 valid applications of astronaut from across Member States and Associate Members.
Meganne Christian, IMM researcher, has been chosen as a member of ESA's new class of austronauts. The new class includes career astronauts, reserve astronauts as well as astronauts with a physical disability for a feasibility project.
Stay tuned. More news to follow!!
- NEWS on the ESA web page: ESA presents new generation of astronauts
- NEWS on the CNR website: Ricercatrice del Cnr-Imm Meganne Christian selezionata nella classe 2022 degli astronauti ESA
- NEWS on the Graphene Flagship website: Graphene Flagship’s Meganne Christian is a new ESA astronaut
- Article on Repubblica Bologna: Meganne Christian, da Bologna allo spazio: entra nella squadra dell'Esa. "Ora sogno una missione"
- TWEET of Samantha Cristoforetti: "... Meganne Christian, who represents the UK but is also an Italian citizen and a researcher at CNR in Bologna!"
- TWEET and VIDEO @ CNR Social: Meganne Christian, ricercatrice dell’Istituto per la microelettronica e microsistemi di Bologna, è stata selezionata come riserva nella classe 2022 degli astronauti dell'ESA
- Women's Agenda: Australia’s first female astronaut joins European Space Agency’s reserve
- TRC Bologna: Il sogno di Meganne che diventa realtà: è tra le riserve dell’Agenzia spaziale. VIDEO
- TGR Emilia Romagna: L'astronauta Meganne Christian, da Bologna al cosmo: "Sono pronta per la missione"
- UNSW Sydney Newsroom: Out of this world! How UNSW helped shape future astronaut Dr Meganne Christian
- SBS.com: La European Space Agency seleziona la prima astronauta italo-australiana
- ABC.net Australia: Blast off! Australia's first female astronaut selected
- Riotact: Russell Crowe, Anzac biscuits and now Meganne Christian - why we want to claim them as our own