Luca Belsito received a M.Sc. degree (cum laude) in Electrical Engineering in 2007 from the University of Reggio Calabria and a Ph.D. degree in Information Technology in 2011 from Bologna University. In 2011 he joined the Institute of Microelectronics and Microsystems (IMM) of the Italian National Research Council (CNR) as a scientific researcher. His research interests include design, fabrication and characterization of micro-electro-mechanical systems (MEMS) sensors and development of readout electronics. He is involved in several National and European projects and is author and co-author of tens of publications, manly focalized on the development of innovative physical sensors. From 2008 up to 2011, he worked at the design, fabrication and characterization of miniaturized opto-acoustic probes for endoscopic virtual biopsy based on ultrasound scattering by biological tissues. Since 2013 up to 2016, he was work package leader in the FP7 project ROBO-SPECT (http://www.robo-spect.eu) for the development of innovative techniques and fabrication of MOMS devices for width and depth measurements of cracks by an autonomous robotic system for tunnel structural inspection. Since 2015 he has also been work package leader in the H2020 project AEROBI (http://www.aerobi.eu) and research unit scientific coordinator in the national project NANOMEMS-X (POR-FESR 2014-2020, Emilia Romagna) for the development of high resolution strain sensors based on MEMS resonators. In 2016 he has been awarded for the best oral contribution at the 2016 E-MRS Spring Meeting, Materials and systems for micro-energy harvesting and storage symposium. Since 2018 he is also research unit scientific coordinator in the H2020 project RESIST (http://www.resistproject.eu).
SCIENTIFIC RESPONSIBILITIES IN COOPERATIVE RESEARCH PROJECTS:
1. Project: ROBOSPECT “ROBOtic System with Intelligent Vision and Control for Tunnel Structural InSPECTion and Evaluation”, FP7-ICT-2013-10, Grant agreement no: 611145. Role: Work package leader.
2. Project: NANOMEMS-X “NANO composites and MEMS based Integrated Circuits Sensor”, POR-FESR 2014-2020 (Emilia Romagna). Role: Research unit scientific coordinator.
3. Project: AEROBI “AErial RObotic System for In-Depth Bridge Inspection by Contact”, H2020-ICT-2015 (IA), Grant agreement no: 687384. Role: Work package leader.
4. Project: RESIST: “RESilient transport InfraSTructure to extreme events”, H2020-MG-2016-2017 (Not yet started). Role: Research unit scientific coordinator.
PARTICIPATION IN OTHER INTERNATIONAL RESEARCH PROJECTS:
1. Project: UNDERGROUND M3 “Micro-Measurement and Monitoring System for Ageing Underground Infrastructures”, Eurocores S3T programme (European Science Foundation) (ref. CRP Number 05-S3T-FP021).
2. Project: SINERGY: “Silicon Friendly Materials and Device Solutions for Microenergy Applications”, FP7-NMP.2013.2.2-4, Grant agreement no: 604169.
2. Project: Q-SORT, (H2020-FETOPEN-1-2016-2017). Grant agreement no: 766970.
3. Project: SiC NANO FOR PiCOGEO: “SiC optical nano-strain-meters for pico-detection in Geosciences”. H2020-FETOPEN-2018-2019-2020-01, Grant agreement no: 863220.
Best oral contribution a Materials and systems for micro-energy harvesting and storage symposium:
L. Belsito, F. Mancarella, A. Roncaglia, “Top-down fabrication of high density nanowire arrays for application in thermoelectric micro-energy conversion devices”, 2016 E-MRS Spring Meeting, 2-6 May 2016, Lille, (France).
INVITED INTERNATIONAL CONFERENCE TALKS:
 L. Belsito, F. Mancarella, A. Roncaglia, A. Tarancon, A. Morata, G. Gadea, J. D. Santos, C. Calaza, M. Salleras, I. Donmez, L. Fonseca, “Micro thermoelectric generators based on silicon nanowires fabricated by top-down and bottom-up technologies”, EMN Meeting on Thermoelectric Materials, 21-25 February, 2016, Orlando, Florida, USA.
 L. Belsito, F. Mancarella, A. Roncaglia, E. Vannacci , E. Biagi, “Fiber-optic ultrasonic probes based on Micro-Opto-Mechanical technology for applications in biological tissue analysis and acoustic microscopy”, 2016 EMN Beijing Meeting, 21-25 April 2016, Beijing, China.
 L. Belsito, F. Mancarella, A. Roncaglia, E. Vannacci , E. Biagi, “Fabrication of highly miniaturized acousto-optical ultrasound devices for endoscopic use in medical applications”, Ultrasonics 2016, 6-8 June 2016, Caparica, Portugal.